For the optimum development and advancement of the state of Maharashtra, the special planning authorities like the City and Industrial Development Corporation of Maharashtra (CIDCM) and Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) are empowered to divide the available land into different property zones.
One such zone is the R zone set up by the government of Maharashtra. Let us dwell deep to know what an R zone is, why it is important, what are the benefits, etc.
What is R-Zone?
R zone, also known as a residential zone in urban and rural areas, is declared by the government to be only for residential purposes. These areas or plots are declared to be reserved for residential construction to meet the housing demands of the population. R zones allow various housing options like single-family homes, multi-family houses, and so on.
The purpose of declaring a residence zone is to preserve the environment while also providing the people with housing facilities and liveable conditions. These zones allow for the development of amenities like parks, open spaces, and others so the citizens have a comfortable lifestyle.
What are the different categories of R-Zone?
R zones can be divided into 2 main categories:
R1 zone/Purely Residential
R1 zoning is purely reserved for the construction of residential places. These areas lie within 12m of the closest road in case of open areas. However, in the case of congested areas, the R1 zone can lie at a distance of 9m or even less from the closest road. No permission is required to build residential houses in this area.
Though the R2 zone is reserved for residential purposes, construction of industrial, commercial, educational, and medical facilities is also allowed. An R2 zone lies at a distance of 12m or more from the closest road or 9m or more in case of congested areas. Thus, an R2 zone is both residential and commercial.
Importance of R Zone
Urban planning is a crucial and complex process that requires in-depth visualisation and thoughtful consideration of the development, safety, and progress of any state or country. For this purpose, it is necessary to allocate appropriate zoning type for the following reasons:
- Provides stability and protection to the residential areas.
- Keeps the citizens safe and guarded.
- R zones are more affordable as they need less area as compared to commercial structures.
- R zones provide various amenities to enhance the life of the residents like swimming pools, gardens, shopping malls nearby, etc.
- They are located in desirable areas which makes buying and selling easy.
Tips for Investing in R Zone
The hazards of investing in an R zone arise when the title of land is not clear or adequate. Investors must check and verify all the information related to the R zone plot to ensure there are no discrepancies in the title or any legal conflicts.
One must also verify and check if there are any discrepancies or legal issues with the encumbrance certificate (EC). If all the ownership documents and legal disputes are clear, investors can proceed to purchase the property.
Land Acquisition in R-Zone
As per the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act, 2013 the following must be adhered to while taking land for the R zone:
- Receiving consent from affected families.
- Providing compensation and rehabilitation packages.
- Conducting public hearings as well as social impact assessments.
- The land acquisition must comply with the Forest Act, 1927.
- Obtain environmental clearance from various ministries.
Environment and R Zone
Though R zones are a significant part of the city’s development, their impact on the environment must not be underestimated. Some of the environmental impacts of R zones include:
- Air pollution and noise pollution due to construction.
- Displacement of the local wildlife due to area conversion.
- Destruction of biodiversity and habitat.
- Increased water and energy consumption due to increased requirements for construction.
- Depletion of resources.
How to Check the Land Zone in Maharashtra?
- Visit the website Maharashtra Bhulekh Portal
- Select the desired region from the map
- Choose the document type 7/12 or 8A
- Select the district, village, and Taluka
- Select the plot detail. Enter the survey number, first name or last name
- Input the registered mobile number and search
R zones can be divided into various categories like R1, R2, R3, R4, and R5 zoning. The primary motive for creating these zones is to ensure optimal development and growth of the city by striking a balance in the residential and commercial areas.
Disclaimer- This article is based on the information publicly available for general use as well as reference links mentioned herein. We do not claim any responsibility regarding the genuineness of the same. The information provided herein does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, it is for general informational purposes only. We expressly disclaim /disown any liability, which may arise due to any decision taken by any person/s basis the article hereof. Readers should obtain separate advice with respect to any particular information provided herein.