For every individual or enterprise owning or being responsible for a property, paying property tax is a primary responsibility. It is imposed on the property owner, Accountant, Secretary, Chairman or other applicable property taxpayers by the respective panchayat, municipal corporation, or municipality
The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai, or MCGM, is the civic body responsible for collecting the Property Tax in Mumbai, India. It is also called the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC). It offers the online option to pay the MCGM property tax.
Here is a detail of the step-by-step process for online property tax payment.
MCGM Property Tax Online Payment
Finding outstanding dues and paying the BMC property tax online is a simple and less time-consuming process.
- Visit the Citizen Portal Services Property Tax page.
- Under the CVS (Capital Value System) Login Section, enter the Property Account Number and the Captcha code. Property taxpayers who do not know their Property Account Number can click ‘Search’ and provide details Ward, Billing Name and Address, Assessee Name, and Property Address to find the Property Account Number.
- Click on Login.
- An OTP will be sent to the property owner’s registered mobile number.
- On successful verification, the system will get redirected to the MCGM website, where the property owners or the other taxpayers can view their MCGM account, previously paid BMC property tax details, and outstanding dues.
- Taxpayers can choose any convenient digital payment method for paying their property tax bill online. The available options are internet banking, credit card payment, and debit card from banks applicable to the options.
- Upon successful payment, the taxpayers must secure the receipt of the property tax payment for future reference. In addition, they have to check their MCGM account to see if the payment record is updated and if there are no outstanding dues.
Property Tax Online Payment — Important Points to Consider
- In Mumbai the payment of property tax online will take at least one working day to reflect in the MCGM account. And the Property Tax will be updated within three working days from the date of payment through the MCGM portal.
- The taxpayers will get the property tax bill online at their registered Email ID. In addition, they will get timely updates of any related news via SMS or Email ID.
MCGM Property Tax Online Payment For New Users
Property taxpayers must register and create an account primarily for house tax online payment, and here are the steps to create an account.
- Navigate to the Citizen Portal Services Property Tax New User KYC Registration page.
- Provide the details such as Name, Property Account Number, Mobile Number, and Email ID.
- Choose the category from Owner, Secretary, Chairman, Accountant, or Others.
- Upload the following documents:
- Share Certificate
- Authority letter in case of an accountant, secretary or chairman on society letterhead.
- Electricity bill/Gas bill/Telephone bill
- Click on ‘Submit’.
Mumbai Property Tax Calculation
The MCGM Property Tax calculation is based on the Capital Value of the property.
Capital Value = Carpet Area x Market Value x Weightage based on Construction Type x Weightage based on Property Age
BMC Property Tax = Capital Value x Applicable Property Tax Rate x Weightage based on User Category
Online MCGM Property Tax Calculation
The Citizen Portal Services Property Tax online also provides the option to calculate the property tax. Here are the steps for calculating the Mumbai property tax online
- Navigate to the Tax Calculator Page.
- Provide the required details such as Ward, Date of Effect, Year of Construction, Zone, Sub Zone, Occupancy Type, Nature and type of building, etc.
- Click on ‘Calculate’
- The Capital Tax and the applicable Total Tax will be displayed.
MCGM Property Tax Exemptions And Concessions
|The BMC property tax payment is exempted for the following types of properties in Mumbai: 1. Properties that measure less than 500 sq ft 2. Properties that are used for public worship or charitable purposes||A 60% concession is provided for properties that measure between 500 sq ft and 700 sq ft|
For municipal tax payment online, property owners or the applicable taxpayers need to complete the KYC formalities and register for the MCGM account. They can log in using the Property Account Number and pay the applicable Property Tax online. In addition, they offer options to calculate the total tax, find the Property Account Number, etc., in a simple and hassle-free manner!
Piramal Realty is driven towards creating spaces setting gold standards for architectural design, customer centricity, and safety to improve the quality of life for individuals and their families.
Disclaimer- This article is based on the information publicly available for general use as well as reference links mentioned herein. We do not claim any responsibility regarding the genuineness of the same. The information provided herein does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, it is for general informational purposes only. We expressly disclaim /disown any liability, which may arise due to any decision taken by any person/s basis the article hereof. Readers should obtain separate advice with respect to any particular information provided herein.